Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Generic Vs. Name Brand

As someone who looks for ways to cut costs, this one seems pretty obvious to me, but a recent headlining news article on Yahoo! had me thinking about it again. You can read the article here.

Th author of the article has some pretty good points about how crazy it seems that people are willing to spend almost twice as much on an identical product just to buy the name. I like that author does state that in his comparisons, the products are identical. There are some products that are not identical so the key is just to be observant. Read the labels!

Some common products that are identical that people should be aware of: most pain relievers, most cleaning products (bleach is bleach, after all!), and spices.

The most important thing is that you do not just take someone like this man or my advice and go out and buy everything generic. As consumers, we have to be informed. Do your own research, go to the store and compare the ingredients in each product and then make your informed decision.

I will also say that sometimes with coupons or specials, the name brand will actually be cheaper. This is another one of those times that it pays (literally!) to do your own research.

In closing, just do your research, check your sale ads and coupons, and Happy Saving! :)

Next blog I will tell you how I make my own laundry detergent to cut costs.

Also coming up for dinner: Betty Crocker's Beef and Green Chile Enchiladas.
Beef and Green Chile Enchiladas

No comments:

Post a Comment