Thursday, September 16, 2010

Crockpot Applesauce

Fall is hands down my favorite season, and what better state to live in than Michigan for great fall colors and delicious Michigan apples.

The best thing for me about apple picking season is the applesauce. My dad's family is big on homemade applesauce and it has become a staple to just about every meal. Now, my dad's family is full of cooks.. really good cooks, the kind where everyone is saying they should have started their own catering business and quit their day jobs.

Me? I'm decent in the kitchen. I can follow recipes, even modify them a bit, but I didn't quite inherit my dad's feel for cooking. When I thought about making my own applesauce, I wanted the simple version. So I used what my generation uses best; the internet. It was scrolling through hundreds of applesauce recipes that I came across one on allrecipes.com. This is the recipe I have used ever since, and it's the first thing I ever made in my very own crockpot.


For the recipe on allrecipes.com and other reviews, Click Here.

Spiced Slow Cooker Applesauce, exactly as I make it. For the original recipe, click the link above.

3lb bag of Gala apples
1/2c Water
2/3c Brown Sugar
1/2t Cinnamon
1/8t Nutmeg
1/8t Ground Cloves
1/8t Ginger

Peel, core, and cut up all apples. I use an apple corer and then just cut each wedge into 3 or 4 small pieces. Add the brown sugar and spices. Add water and mix everything together. Heat in Crockpot on Low setting for 6-8 hours.

My crock pot usually ends up taking closer to the 8 hours, but in reading reviews of the original recipe others had varying times. Also if you noted, the spices used make up most pumpkin pie spices, so if you already have mixed pumpkin pie spice, you can substitute all of the spices for 1/2t of pumpkin pie spice. (The original recipe calls for pumpkin pie spice. I didn't have it on hand, so this was my substitution to begin with)

Last but not least, if you like your applesauce to have a bit of a kick, I have been known to add a handful or two of the Red Hot cinnamon candies towards the end of the cooking time. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment